Spicy Black Beans
A warming hearty vegetarian meal. Black beans contain a high proportion of resistant starch meaning it passes through the small intestine undigested having very little impact on blood sugar levels but in the large intestine has the benefit of being a food source for our gut bacteria.
- 1 red onion chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped
- ½ tbspn cumin
- 1 green chilli
- ¼ tspn cayenne chilli pepper
- Sea salt to taste
- Olive oil for cooking
- 1 tin black beans drained and rinsed
- 400g cherry tomatoes halved (or 1 tin chopped tomatoes)
- Cook onion, garlic, cumin, chilli (remove the seeds if you don't want it too spicy) and cayenne pepper and sea salt in olive oil until onion softened
- Add cherry tomatoes and black beans. Leave to simmer until tomatoes broken down. Add a small amount of water if necessary.